Wanting to know how to lose belly fat is not just a cosmetic issue, it is also a health issue. Our weight is largely determined by how we balance the calories we eat with the energy we burn. If we eat too much and exercise too little we’re likely to gain extra fat, especially belly fat. Aging also plays a role. Muscle mass typically diminishes with age, while fat increases. Loss of muscle mass also decreases the rate at which our body uses calories, which adds to the challenge of how to lose belly fat. We may also notice an increase in belly fat even without a weight gain on the scales. This is likely due to decreased levels of oestrogen, which influences where fat is distributed in the body. The good news is there is plenty that we can do for ourselves to reverse this.
Belly fat is not limited to the extra layer around the middle; it also lies deep inside our abdomen, surrounding our internal organs. Visceral fat is linked with dangerous health problems including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers. In my blog How To Lose Belly Fat-Part One I have outlined 5 foods that will help us to lose belly fat, now let’s look at how we can lose belly fat through exercising.
How to Lose Belly Fat by Exercising
Choose an Activity you Enjoy
The best exercise you can do is one that you enjoy. Choose an exercise that you are willing to do for at least 30 minutes 5 Times per Week. There is no point in choosing an activity because you think you should do it or because everyone else is doing it, if you don’t enjoy the exercise you will not continue with it. Change it up; you don’t need to do the same exercise every time. Just remember to work hard enough to keep your heart rate up. Running is best, but walking is fine too, once your pace is fast enough to elevate your heart rate. What you do is not as important as how hard you work. If you really want to know how to lose belly fat you must exercise consistently.
Work those Abs
There is no getting away from it, if we want to achieve belly fat loss we have to work the abs. Choose 5 Ab Exercises and do 30 second reps 5 Times per Week.
- Basic Crunch: Lie comfortably on your back on the floor. Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor. Cross your arms over your chest and inhale. As you exhale lift your shoulders towards the ceiling, using your abdominal muscles, hold at the peak. Inhale and lower yourself back to the floor, keep the movement controlled.
- Oblique Crunch: Lie comfortably on your back on the floor, with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Place your right hand over your right ear, inhale. As you exhale crunch your midsection up and across, trying to touch your right elbow to your left knee. Engage your core muscles. Exhale and release slowly, keeping the movement controlled. Repeat on the opposite side.
- Basic Sit Ups: Lie comfortably on your back on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Place your hands at your ears and inhale. As you exhale lift your head, then shoulders engaging your abdominal muscles. Keeping your feet on the floor continue lifting until you are upright in a sitting position. As you inhale lower yourself to the floor, keeping the movement controlled.
- Basic Push Ups: Assume a face down position on the floor. Position your hands directly under your shoulders. Keep your knees on the floor, cross your legs at the ankles and raise them towards the ceiling. As you inhale lower your upper body to the floor engaging your abdominal muscles, until your elbows are at a 90◦ angle. Keep your elbows tight to your body and keep looking forward. Don’t allow yourself to drop to the floor. As you exhale raise your body by pushing the floor away, engaging the abdominal muscles. Keep lifting until your arms are straight but not elbows locked.
- Basic Hip Lift: Lie comfortably with your back on the floor. Raise both legs toward the ceiling and extend your arms on the floor at your sides palms down. Inhale and engage the core muscles. As you exhale curl your hips toward your ribs, lifting your hips off the floor and reaching your feet straight up. Inhale as you slowly lower.
Planking works our abs, develops core strength, improves posture, improves stability, increases upper body strength, strengthens hips and pelvic floor, increase low back strength, reduces risk of injury and makes us more efficient runners/walkers etc. Assume a face down position on the floor, bend your elbows 90 degrees and tuck your toes under your ankles. Rest your weight on your forearms. Your elbows should be directly below your shoulders, and your body should form a straight line from head to feet. To begin hold the position for 20 seconds and add 5 seconds per day, rest on day 6. Continue this routine until you have built your time up to two minutes. Planking will help you to lose belly fat.
Ab and Cardio Combination
If you really want to find out how to lose belly fat fast combine Ab and Cardio exercises 5 Times per Week. You will soon get the results you are looking for by making extra time to fit both types of exercise into your week. Double the work means double the results, with cardio you are burning that belly fat and with Ab work outs you are toning your core muscles giving yourself a flatter, slimmer midsection.
Always Engage your Core
Whether we are out for a gentle stroll, sitting at our desk or driving the car we should always have our core muscles engaged. Visualize it as pulling up a tight zip around your midsection. We don’t need a gym work out or a fast run to work our tummy muscles. We can work our abdominal muscles all day every day. It’s just a habit, a really good and beneficial habit. Do it right now while you are reading this blog, pull those muscles in tight.
It’s Never Too Late To Start
I said at the beginning that aging affects belly fat because of the natural decrease in muscle mass and change in hormones. However we cannot use aging as an excuse to sit back and do nothing. We have the knowledge and now that we know better we must do better. We cannot control our age, we can control how our body ages. We don’t need pills or surgery to maintain a youthful body, we need to know how to lose belly fat by eating the right foods and exercising regularly. If you put the tips I have given you today into action, combined with the eating tips I gave you in How to Lose Belly Fat-Part One, you will lose belly fat and you will take control of how your body ages. However there is one more thing you need to know about How to Lose Belly Fat and that is why I have written a third part to this series.
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post and that you check out more of my informative and motivating articles here veras5.com. Please feel free to share my blogs on Facebook, Twitter or any social media that you use. I will be delighted to answer any questions and comments too.